Wednesday, June 13, 2007

She works hard for the money


Work is a strange thing. At the core of it, the majority of us go to work because we need to eat and stay out of the rain -- whether it's McDonald's or you spent years in medical school.



If it was all about money, it would actually be easier. But I always said I would rather love my job than be rich. (This is apparent from the fact I have been wearing the same boots for 3 years and drive a 12 year old car.) I also never liked the fact that people seemed defined by their job. When first meeting people, the question most likely asked is "what do you do?"


I would really like to make money doing what I like (and what, I think, I am pretty good at). OK I know everybody else does too. If this was possible we would have a world full of trampoline testers, cowboys and restaurant critics, to name a few.


So if it was all about enjoyment or all about money, it would be easier to decide how to spend my days, but since it is a tangled combination of both (also throw in a bit of self worth and sense of purpose), my path is unclear.


2 comments:

editor said...

Follow the late Steve Irwin's lead and parlay your love of ducklings into 'The Duck Savior'...at the very least it wouldn't be the worst thing on television.

Randy

S said...

And you give me a rash of shit for getting out of the newspaper business? I still write, take photos and do multi-media, but now I do it for more money. Somedays I like it and somedays I don't. More money doesn't solve our problems, look at me, you still have to feed me when we have lunch.
Keep taking photos and open up a gallery. If you ever take a street scene, I'll be your first client.